Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Introduction

As is customary, I figured my first post should detail a bit about me. I'm twenty five and currently working as a medical receptionist while I attend law school at night. I was an English major for my undergraduate degree and I spent a lot of my childhood watching The Frugal Gourmet and Julia Child on PBS with my dad. This basically fostered a love of food, reading about food, and actually cooking the food (although that came later). Since many of my family and friends are getting sick of hearing about me talk about food, I figured I should try writing about it instead.

Part of what inspires me to write is the current trend towards the processed, quick food that has taken over our country. I admit, it is convenient. I spent most of my undergraduate years eating quick, unhealthy things (and going up a few clothes sizes as a result). I've been trying to get out of that habit by cooking more - and in my search for healthy recipes, I've read a lot of good books. From Marion Nestle's What to Eat to Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma, I've begun to realize our entire food system - our entire food culture in America is broken. This lead me to ideas from the Weston A. Price foundation, and tons of great food blogs - too many to even list.

I'm hoping this blog will be a way for me to share my thoughts on food, some recipes, and my progress in returning to a simpler way of eating. I'm ready to put down the Lean Cuisine and get real.

No comments:

Post a Comment